Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Moderators: ganga, admin

Re: Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Postby nibha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:41 am

Could you,please clarify Shirodhara,Navarakizhi,Phizhichil only mild way (in d spa setting)?
nibha

Postby nibha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 am

What herbs to use for mild svedana (fresh/dried) aftr d client undergoes abhyanga? Which sweat box is best? I personally prefer wooden w/ head outside. Is it safe to lie during sweating or preferably sit/recline?
nibha

Postby nibha » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:51 am

You had once mentioned 2 use castor, tamarind, nirgundi, sahachara, rasna, devadaru 2 handfuls. Need to learn fm locals, which is which.
nibha

Postby nibha » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:58 am

Can you reuse the sesame oil on the same person? How many shirodhara sessions? Otherwise, it becomes a very exclusive treatment.
nibha

Postby hari » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Oil used for 3 days continuously, adding little fresh oil everyday. End of the treatment, the oil should be heated to release the sweat from the oil ensuring that the oil is not boiled or burned. Thy common practice of using oil for Shirodhara is as follows -

1st day - 1200ml fresh oil, at the end of the treatment, the oil is heated and the waste on the top is removed.
2nd day - 1000ml from previous day + 200ml new oil
3rd day - like day 2
4th day - like day 1
5th day - like day 2
6th day - like day 2
7th day - old collection from day 3 & 4 + 200ml fresh oil (approximately 2200ml oil)
hari

Postby nibha » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am

What big fresh leaves would you recommend for a fruit body wrap? Nepalis often do these fruits wraps (using seasonal fruits) to nourish skin - whole body. They use a bandage fm pharmacy to retain the mass on the skin, which doesnt seem nice. I believe we can do better with leaves.
nibha

Postby hari » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:23 am

Best leaves to use are Eranda leaves or Banana leaves
hari

SHIRODHARA Re: Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Postby nibha » Wed May 28, 2014 12:10 am

Shirodhara revisited

I have gone across several Nepali Spas & Ayurvedic clinics (with Ayu Drs.) & in most cases the practice of Shirodhara differs from my experiences in India.

The latest experience, which validity, i would like to check, is the following:
One Ayurvedic clinic refuses to give Shirodhara, when the weather is cloudy (K time), and after sun sets (again K time).
They are very strict about it, that the patient would get a headache. Sounds ok.

But I still ponder, that even during a cloudy day, getting a 30min shirodhara shouldnt cause much harm.Especially, if person's
Agni is ok, no excess mucus, etc.

The clinic and most spas offer shirodhara lasting 45min -120min. That might be the reason they insist on clear sky.

Please, share your experience.

I might just go myself on a rainy day to see the result.
nibha

Postby nibha » Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 am

I checked with the owner of that clinic and his experience is such, that after the shirodhara, if he washes his head, he gets a headache.
What they do is, they tell clients to bring a scarf to wrap around the head & wash it only 2-3hrs after, else they'd get headache.

So not only the cloudy weather but also washing is disallowed.

Then I shared my experience from Kerala practice, where I stayed in the clinic itself, not going out, I could immediately wash my hair & therapists would put Rasnadi choornam on my "Sahasra region".

We both agreed that weather in Nepal is generally cooler to that of India, which makes practices different.

Anyhow, I will keep watching experiences of different people in different centers to see the outcome.

As for myself, I am more fond of shiro abhyanga with black sesame oil, possibly medicated, proper daily routines and nutritious diet and most nerve related troubles are avoided.

And I guess the ancient sages knew what they were saying when they classified the strength of the head treatments in ascending order from shiroabhyanga, shirodhara, shiropichu, shirobasti. Which means one can save lot of time, money, oil by helping oneself in a home setting.

As always, your experiences are most welcome, as Shirodhara has become very popular worldwide.
nibha

Previous

Return to Ayurveda