Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Moderators: ganga, admin

Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Postby nibha » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 am

Could you give advice & precautions on application of various Ayu therapies in a spa setting?

The clientele: mostly high end; business executives, sportsmen, politicians fm Western part of the world.
Therapies: abhyanga, udvartana, phizichhil, shirodhara, navara kizhi, svedana, nasya, yoga practice
Duration of stay: max 2 week

Should one check the BP levels of these people prior to administering a treatment? Also, their health condition/complaints, if any?
As such, the clientele are highly stressed out/wealthy individuals who want to practice 'Pratyahara' or give themselves a break fm the world for a week or two.
nibha

Re: Ayurveda therapies_spa setting

Postby hari » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 am

It is better to follow some protocols during therapies.

careful, no much intensive techniques-
Routine Check Blood Pressure, if they are HT
Pulse examination - check for irregular or missing, too much pressure or pulse above 85/minute -
Pizhichil Dhara, Navarakizhi, swedana - only mild; also Yoga Asanas light practice. Nadisudhi pranayama is ok. KapLabhati very mild way.

Avoid in -
Breathlessness, on & off or frequent sweating,
Feverish with bitter taste in the tongue & feeling cold
Cold, cough running nose, sore throat, diarrhea, vomiting or Nausea
hari

Postby nibha » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Seems a lot of care needs to be taken to avoid complications. Experience is the key, i guess.

Also, what does it mean, if a person's pulse skips on the middle finger? Say, I examined with index, middle & ring finger and the middle finger would skip every other beat. The person, man in early 30's experiences heat in upper part of the body, heated head, lack of appetite & it's been going on for quite some time, min 6mths. His palms, head are hot to touch, whereas his feet are cold to touch.

Would you recommend any literature on pulse diagnosis? Of course, best learnt from an experienced person but found reference on Sarngadhara Samhita, which mentions pulse diagnosis, probably not in depth but still a point of support. Interestingly, I met a Tibetan Dr., who says their ancient texts elaborate vastly on pulse diagnosis as well as anatomy, which I don't see to be the case in ancient Ayurveda textbooks.
nibha

Postby hari » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 am

Look like Pitha imbalance. Old feet and hot upper body can happen when pitha being blowed upward by Vayu. In this case there should be some Psychological problems, at least a mini "Unmada"!
hari

Postby nibha » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

The spa owner wants to make it safe, so just basic treatments shall be given initially;
Abhyanga
Shirodhara
Facial massage & mask

The rest would be on request.

I remember you give consultations to Ayurvedic spas worldwide, what do you see practical in terms of product usage? Plain/pure oils (coconut, sesame, mustard, possibly almond, apricot kernel, olive), do you recommend to blend them with essential oils to deliver a different sensory effect?
nibha

Postby nibha » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:19 am

I am afraid the psychological problem is there...anyhow, personal issues at home, he will have to deal with that.
nibha

Postby hari » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 am

I have seen lots of people using Coconut oil (cooling and healing), Seasame oil for Vata, apricot and olive for general health etc. mustard oil is not seen much, probably due to the smell. But it is very good for Kapha, not in Pitha or skin allergies.

The hot person may be better screened.
hari

Postby nibha » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:16 pm

I am a little worried about the 'hot' man. Yes, i recommended him to go see a physician, however he is someone who chronically says one thing but does (& means?) another.
nibha

Postby nibha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:28 am

What about the oil for shirodhara in a spa? White sesame made warm should do? How much quantity to use?
nibha

Postby hari » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Luke warm sesame oil should be ok. Best minimum quantity for shirodhara is 1200ml
hari

Next

Return to Ayurveda